Powered by People
bio-bean was founded in 2013 on the firm belief that there is no such thing as waste, only resources in the wrong place. We set out to extract the latent energy in spent coffee grounds and convert it into biofuels and biochemicals in a sustainable and commercially-viable way. Five years on we are recycling thousands of tonnes of spent coffee grounds per year to produce our retail product Coffee Logs, a briquette for wood-burning stoves sold through major supermarkets and garden centres, pellets for industrial biomass use and we are also exploring a range of other viable biochemical products derived from spent coffee grounds.
bio-bean is a small, dynamic, award-winning business with offices and factory in Alconbury, Cambridgeshire, a research lab in Welwyn Garden City and a small office in Aldgate, London. We are passionate about our vision, values and people; we aim to be sustainable in everything we do whilst giving our people the space to grow and develop in a fast-moving and high-growth environment.
Latest job opportunities
Senior Process Development Engineer
A key member of the Company’s R&D and product development function within the Commercial & Product Development Team. Reporting into the Chief Technology Officer with your focus being the product and process development of biochemicals and solid fuels from spent coffee grounds. The R&D team is tasked with developing the new product pipeline, associated processes and methodologies and providing technical and scientific support to plant operations. The team is also responsible for the technical transfer of products to be manufactured either in-house or at toll manufacturers.
- Direct the design, research and development of new products from initial concepts through to prototyping, pre-production and final release
- Conduct product and process development on biochemicals and solid fuels from spent coffee grounds
- Design, conduct experiments and lead in-house trials and at tolling partner sites
- Identify suitable third-party partners (including toll manufacturers)
- Collect pertinent data/information, developing detailed engineering calculations, and writing formal engineering/technical reports
- Contribute to invention disclosures, patents and publications
- Review and sign-off product and process specifications
- Manage, mentor and engage in the development of junior engineers in the team
- Work with commercial lead on customer requirements
- Liaise with engineering/operations team regarding processes for front end handling etc
- Manage relationships with toll manufacturers, trial partners and others
- Participate in technical meetings and handle discussions with third parties and colleagues
As Senior Process Development Engineer, you will have:
- Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or a related engineering discipline
- Preferably Chartered Chemical Engineer status
- A minimum of 3 years industrial experience in process and product development, ideally in the food & beverage sector
- Experience in process design, scaling up to full plant design and commissioning
- Ability to independently design, plan and execute projects and project tasks and scientific research and development is required
- Expert-level with processing and formulation equipment, plant layouts, and concepts/procedures for equipment design and sizing
- Demonstration of customer focus and ability to respond to customer needs whilst achieving project and business objectives
- Proficiency in PC software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project)
In addition, you will have the following core competences:
- Problem solving
- Knowledge of stability testing for solid fuels and biochemicals
- Knowledge of analytical methods for identification of organic compounds
- Ability to participate in technical meetings and handle discussions with customers and colleagues up to board level
- Ability to produce and present technical information for internal and external audiences (both technical and non-technical)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills
Reporting Lines and Working Arrangements:
Reporting directly to the Chief Technology Officer (“CTO”). Working in conjunction with all direct reports of the CTO and at all levels within and outside the business. Initially you will be joining a small team of 4 – 6 people.
Based in bio-bean’s BioPark Lab in Welwyn Garden City with travel to meetings in London or Alconbury as required, you will be required to show dedication and determination to complete all challenges facing your department. Travel in the UK and abroad will be required but limited.
Location: bio-bean, BioPark, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire
Salary: £competitive depending on experience
Type: Full time permanent position
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you think you would be right for this role and why you want to work at bio-bean to email@example.com